Data relevant to the GCDkit
- EarthChem Portal
- This portal integrates seamlessly the geochemistry data of the Solid Earth from multiple data systems operated by different providers: PetDB (IEDA), SedDB (IEDA), GEOROC (MPI Mainz, Germany), NavDat (IEDA), USGS, and DARWIN (JAMSTEC, Japan). EarthChem can be searched online from menu GCDkit > Online search of EarthChem.org. Moreover, EarthChem text or XLSX datafiles are supported by GCDkit. Maintained by Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University.
- GEOROC - Geochemistry of Rocks of the Oceans and Continents
- A database containing some 200 000 entries of whole-rock, mineral and inclusion analyses of ocean island, convergent margin and large igneous province chemical analyses. GEOROC .csv datafiles are supported by GCDkit. Maintained by MPI für Chemie, Mainz.
- NAVDAT - The Western North American Volcanic and Intrusive Rock Database
- Age, chemical and isotopic data from Mesozoic and younger igneous rocks in western North America. 38 000 samples distilled from 1 160 papers. NAVDAT .csv datafiles are supported by GCDkit.
- PETDB - The Petrological Database
Chemical, isotopic, and mineralogical data for rocks, minerals, and melt inclusions from:
- igneous and metamorphic rocks from the ocean floor, specifically mid-ocean ridge basalts and abyssal peridotites;
- xenolith samples from the Earth's mantle and lower crust PetDB output format is .xls (MS Excel), supported by GCDkit. Presented by Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University.
Other interesting resources
- GeoReM - Geological and Environmental Reference Materials
- Some 46 200 values for 3 400 reference materials as analysed in laboratories worldwide. Maintained by MPI für Chemie, Mainz.
- PetroGraph (free)
- A stand-alone program, written in Visual Basic by Maurizio Petrelli in 2005. In addition to graphic capabilites, its main strength is wide palette of modelling tools. Datafiles supported by GCDkit.
- PetroPlot (free)
- A suite of MS Excel macros, extending the features of spreadsheet on the field of Whole-rock-specific features. Written by Yongjun Su, Charles H. Langmuir and Paul D. Asimow in 2002. Datafiles supported by GCDkit.
- IgPet (commercial/free)
- Another tool for geochemical data analysis and graphics, done by Michael Carr, available for Windows and Mac. There is also a free version (t-Igpet) for teaching petrogenetic modelling of igneous processes. Datafiles supported by GCDkit.
Other interesting tools and link collections
- Isoplot/Ex and SQUID (free)
- Two excellent MS Excel based programs, providing tools for the manipulation and plotting of radiogenic-isotope data. Both written and personally distribuded by Ken Ludwig.
- MELTS (free)
- Homepage of the legendary MELTS system and its successors for thermodynamic modeling of phase equilibria in magmatic systems, done the team around Mark Ghiorso. It can be run directly under UNIX-like OS, as a web-based Java applet, or using platform-independent frontend Adiabat_1ph.
- EarthChem Tools (link collection)
- Besides the integrated access to several geochemical databases, EarthChem also provides list of interesting software tools.
- Geokem - An eText of Geochemical Data Interpretation
- A website maintained by Bernie Gunn. Tons of commented plots dealing with igneous geochemistry.
Page last modified April 04, 2018